Everyone loves a nice warm fireplace, especially around Christmas time. However, no one likes the inconvenience of actually maintaining a traditional fireplace. That’s where the Dimplex Optimyst comes in. This medium-sized device uses the latest ultrasonic technology to produce an incredibly lifelike wood-burning fireplace…except it’s not a real wood-burning fireplace. As you might have guessed from the name, this fireplace device uses a mist of water to produce an artificial flame and smoke effect. Red, orange and yellow lights illuminate the mist to simulate an authentic flame. If you’re at all interested in this product, read on. We’ll go over the pros and cons of the Dimplex Optimyst in this short review.
Dimplex Optimyst Functions and Controls
The official dimensions of the Dimplex Optimyst are 14.8 x 28 x 12 inches. It weighs 30 pounds and is available with an alabaster finish. Moreover, the material used to make this product is metal, and the official style is listed as contemporary.
2. Voltage & Remote Control
There are no batteries required when using this product. You will have to plug this fireplace to make it functional. The voltage of this product is 120 volts. Consumers simply use a convenient on/off remote to control this device.
3. Water Tank
There’s a water tank on the back of this product that can be easily filled up. A full tank can last for up to 14 hours. The mist produced from this tank is 3-dimensional so that it will look just like a flame and smoke to the untrained eye.
4. Plug-In Cassettes
There are inserts and plug-in cassettes in the back of this device. For those interested, you can look into the Optimyst Pro direct-wire models for a more seamless experience.
Pros and Cons of Dimplex Optimyst
Dimplex Optimyst Advantages
- First off, this product is 100 percent safe to use. You won’t have to worry about any flames or real smoke messing up your home. There’s no need to pay for expensive chimney cleanings or worry about your house burning down. It’s also really fun to put your hand on these cool misty “flames” and shock guests at get-overs.
- You can literally place one of these devices anywhere you feel you need one. The device’s design and portability allow you to place it wherever you feel it fits best with your décor. People have been known to place Dimplex Optimyst devices in foyers, bedrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, and dining rooms.
- For those into environmentalism, it is good to know that this product is a great green alternative. There are absolutely no chemicals, emissions, or particulates being released by this watery flame. This is particularly great news if you have kids in the house.
- The logs on this device were designed to glow, which adds a nice touch to this piece. Most customers who enjoy this product recommend taking a look at it in a dimmed room for the best effect.
Dimplex Optimyst Disadvantages
- Some people complain that this product doesn’t really look like a “roaring fire.” Even people who are pleased with the Dimplex Optimyst admit that it only looks like a dying flame at best. If you’re expecting a really big fire, you shouldn’t invest money into this product. However, if you’re just looking for a nice gentle dying ember to gaze at, this might be the product for you.
- A few consumers have complained about the mist negatively affecting the metal firebox. The mist apparently causes this metal firebox to rust faster since the water tends to pool on the bottom of the tank. Not everyone has this problem, but it’s good to know before making a decision about this product.
- The average price for a Dimplex Optimyst is around $800. That’s above the industry standard and, in the opinion of some customers, well above what it should be selling for.
- You won’t be able to pick up any of the alabaster logs and put them over the misty flames.
- The cords used in this product tend to stick out a bit. Moreover, you’ll really need to find a clever way to hide these cables if you want to get as close to an “authentic” experience as possible.
- Although the device is supposed to be silent, there have been reports that you can hear a light gurgle from the water in the tank. Again, not everyone has this problem, but you should consider it before making a purchase.
Our Recommendation When Comes to Picking Dimplex Optimyst Model
Although it is a bit pricey, the Dimplex Optimyst is one of the best mist flames on the market. Also, when you consider what you’d be spending on maintaining a real wood-burning fireplace, the Dimplex Optimyst might actually be cheaper in the long run. The illusion of the dying ember is great, but the mist/smoke is what makes this product particularly charming. Moreover, every Dimplex Optimyst is extremely convenient; you’ll literally be able to control it with a handheld controller.
And, as mentioned above, this product is perfect for those with children running around the house. With a Dimplex Optimyst, you just won’t have to worry about toxic smoke or accidental burns. So, if you don’t mind the fact that this product was only designed to give off a “dying ember” instead of a roaring fire, and if you don’t mind cleaning up mist and re-filling the back tank every so often, this product offers a viable alternative to a real wood-burning fireplace.
The Dimplex Optimyst is one of the most popular fireplace inserts on the market nowadays, and it certainly deserves that title. Simply put, this device delivers where it needs to: it’s safe, efficient, and produces great artificial flames. Furthermore, homeowners not interested in investing in a wood-burning fireplace, or even apartment dwellers, will find a lot to admire in this product.
In conclusion, if you have the money, it’s worth giving this product a go. The Dimplex name is well respected in the industry, and this company has its own dedicated customer care division ready to handle any of your questions. So, for those the market for a soothing “dying flame” mist fireplace, try the Dimplex Optimyst out for yourself.