Dimplex Optimyst Tech: Is it Worth Your Hard-Earned Cash?
Everyone loves a nice, warm fire, especially during the cold season. However, a traditional fireplace can be hard to maintain and get pricey in the long run. That’s where electric units come in. A worthy low-maintenance alternative to the real thing, fireplaces that run on electricity only require an outlet to work their magic. Moreover, the flames have gotten extremely realistic nowadays, to the point where the illusion can fool even a trained eye. Especially if you decide to go with a Dimplex Optimyst model.
These devices from Dimplex use the latest ultrasonic technology on the market to produce an incredibly lifelike wood-burning fire. As you might have guessed from the name, the units, which range from stoves to electric suites, use an ultra-fine mist of water that rises up through the logs or coals. The light reflects against the water, enabling the fireplace to produce a dazzling flame and smoke effect. In other words, red, orange and yellow lights illuminate the mist to simulate a fire that’s as close to the real thing as possible.
Does that sound like an appealing investment? Read on as we go through the pros and cons of purchasing a Dimplex Opti-myst product to help you figure out if it’s a good fit for you.
What kind of Dimplex products are available?
The Optimyst ultrasonic technology is featured in over 25 Dimplex designs, so it’s likely that you’ll find a model to catch your eye. There are five main categories of electric units to choose from:
- Electric stoves – these freestanding units come with a rustic look and can add a vintage flair to any room of the house. Models generally feature opening doors, so you can admire the realistic flames in all their glory.
- Inset fires – these types of electric units are meant to be incorporated into an existing fireplace. Or, you can get inventive and build your own unit (for example by using a cabinet). Either way, they are available with a choice of styles and finishes to make sure they will match your décor to a T.
- Wall-mounted fires – if you’re a fan of more modern design trends, a wall-mounted fireplace is an elegant choice. They make for excellent statement pieces, adding both warmth and a healthy dose of opulence to your living room or study.
- Electric baskets – these dashing electric units are great for adding to an existing fireplace, providing a relaxing ambiance for when you don’t feel like maintaining a real fire.
- Electric suites – these models offer the whole package, so to speak, as they feature both the electric fire and the surrounding mantel, perfectly resembling a traditional fireplace.
Dimplex Optimyst Products: Functions and Controls
While there are multiple Dimplex products with the Optimyst tech to choose from, they all come with a suite of similar features.
Dimensions range, but the units are typically portable and easy to fit in any space. One of our favorite models, the Dimplex DLGM29 Opti-Myst Open Hearth Fireplace Insert, measures 14.8 x 28 x 12 inches. It weighs a little under 30 pounds and is available with an alabaster finish. Of course, electric suites will take up more space, so check the product’s measurements carefully before placing your order.
2. Voltage & Remote Control
There are no batteries required when using electric fireplaces. You simply have to plug them in and you’re good to go. They come with a remote control to easily adjust the settings and turn the unit on/off.
3. Water Tank
As mentioned, Dimplex Opti-myst electric fireplaces make use of mist to produce stunning three-dimensional flames, so a water tank is involved. When running constantly, the Optimyst tank will last for approximately 8-10 hours, so you will have to fill it out on a regular basis. Dimplex recommends that you use filtered water when possible.
Dimplex units are a green choice – they’re 100% efficient, with no harmful particulates to worry about. They’re also a safe option for your home since no actual flames or emissions are involved. The smoke effect, though realistic, is perfectly harmless.
Pros and Cons of Dimplex Units
As most fireplaces currently on the market, Dimplex units with the Optimyst patented ultrasonic technology come with pros and cons. We’ve listed them below to help you make a more informed purchasing decision.
Dimplex Optimyst Advantages
- Products are 100 percent safe to use. No need to worry about flames or real smoke messing up your carpet or upholstery. Plus, there’s no need to pay for expensive chimney cleanings or deal with the ashes associated with real fire. It’s also really fun to put your hand on these cool misty “flames” and shock guests at get-togethers, as most units come with glass that is cool to the touch.
- Units are generally portable and thus easy to move around. You can literally place one of these Dimplex devices anywhere you want – in foyers, bedrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, or dining rooms.
- If you’re worried about your carbon footprint, it’s good to know that these products are a green alternative, since no dangerous chemicals are involved. This is especially great news if you have kids or pets.
- The flames are incredibly realistic. Most customers who enjoy these products recommend dimming the lights for a cozier atmosphere, but the fire and smoke effect will look gorgeous either way.
Dimplex Optimyst Disadvantages
- Some users complain that these products don’t look like a “roaring fire.” Even people who are pleased with their Dimplex Optimyst units admit that the flames aren’t as impressive as they expected, despite the realism. If you’re interested in creating the illusion of a really big fire, you would be better off looking elsewhere. However, if you’re just interested in a nice gentle dying ember to gaze at, Dimplex Opty-myst electric fireplaces should be a wise choice.
- A few consumers have complained about the mist negatively affecting the metal firebox. The mist apparently causes this metal firebox to rust faster since the water tends to pool on the bottom of the tank. Not everyone has this problem, but it’s worth mentioning.
- Dimplex Optimyst units tend to be quite expensive. Thanks to the many models available, you can probably find one to suit your budget, but prepare to pay more than the industry standard for these realistic flames.
- The cords used in some products tend to stick out a bit. You might be required to find a clever way to hide these cables if you want to get as close to an “authentic” experience as possible.
- Although these devices are supposed to be silent, there have been reports that you can hear a light gurgle from the water in the tank. Again, not everyone has this problem, but it’s something to think about.
Dimplex Optimyst FAQs
How often should I clean my Dimplex electric fireplace?
If you run it on a regular basis, it’s important to maintain your unit so that it will last you longer. Dimplex recommends that you clean your Optimyst fireplace every two weeks. That’s also how often you should change the water. The models are easy to spruce up – the sump unit, nozzle, and water bottle can be cleaned with washing up liquid and even go in the dishwasher. Always read the user manual carefully for more detailed instructions concerning each product.
Can I use scented water inside the fireplace?
No. However, you can invest in a Dimplex Aroma Diffuser if you’re looking to add more fragrance to your room.
How energy efficient are Dimplex Opti-myst units?
A Dimplex Opti-myst fire uses 212 watts when operating in flame-only mode. With the heating function on, it shouldn’t consume more than your average electric fireplace.
Dimplex Optimyst units are currently some of the best and most popular electric fireplaces on the market. And for good reason. They’re fairly pricey; however, when you consider what you’d be spending on maintaining a traditional fireplace, a Dimplex Optimyst model might end up cheaper in the long run. The illusion of the dying ember is great, but the mist/smoke is what makes this product particularly charming.
Moreover, every Dimplex Opti-myst electric fireplace is convenient; you’ll literally be able to control it with a handheld remote. As mentioned above, these products are perfect for those with children running around the house. With a Dimplex Optimyst unit, there’s no more worrying about toxic smoke or accidental burns. They’re safe, efficient, and produce great artificial flames and a stunning smoke effect. Homeowners not interested in investing in a wood-burning fireplace, or even apartment dwellers, will find that, more often than not, these units perfectly fit their needs. And if not, the company has its own dedicated customer care division ready to handle any of your questions or complaints.
All in all, if you don’t mind the fact that this product was designed to give off a “dying ember” instead of a roaring fire and if you’re OK with cleaning up mist and re-filling the water tank every so often, this product offers a viable alternative to a traditional fireplace. If you have the money, it’s worth giving Dimplex Optimyst units a go. We guarantee that you’ll be pleasantly surprised.